Thursday, November 8, 2012

It's Getting Better All The Time (Beatles reference)

The movie 8 mile came out 10 years ago today. That is hard to believe. It was my first year of "independence" that I had experienced in my life. I watched it at East Point theater with some upperclassmen that gave me a ride. Everything that semester seemed so dramatic. This was supposed to be the beginning of the best time of my life. It was a lot harder then I thought it would be.

Nobody tells you that college is lonely. It is. When I think back to college I only have fond memories. But if I really concentrate and separate the years in my mind I run into some painful memories as well.

One night in high school as we were sitting around the dinner table I asked my father if college was the best time of his life. His answer came quickly. "No". I was confused. Whenever I heard anyone talk about college up to that point they would say that it was the best time of their lives. My father continued "The best time of my life is right now, and it's only getting better".

I am currently living in the best part of my life. Growing up with my brother and sister was great, but this is better. Playing high school basketball and being as involved as I was in academy was fun, but this is better. Being a freshman in college and experiencing the most nerve wracking and exciting time in my life was thrilling, but this is better. Hanging out will all of my boys in the dorm and playing video games until I fell asleep won't ever be forgotten, but this is better. Meeting my wife and really getting to know an amazing woman was awesome, but this is better. Getting married and going on a honeymoon to Hawaii was everything that I had ever dreamed that it would be and more, but this is better. Having these last four years to go on vacations and spend time really finding out who we are has been a blessing, I wouldn't trade it for anything, but this is better. Now we are closing in on the birth of our first born, this is the best, and when he turns one, that will be better.

My life has been blessed. And it isn't getting worse. It's always getting better. I have never experienced the things that I am going through now. And back when I was in college I had never experienced any of that up till that point. I refuse to think that the best time of my life has passed. For me, it only gets better. I don't want to skip any of it. I am going to enjoy every single part of it.

"Have any of us duly considered how much we have to be thankful for? Do we remember that the mercies of the Lord are new every morning, and that his faithfulness faileth not? Do we acknowledge our dependence upon him, and express gratitude for all his favors? On the contrary, we too often forget that "every good and perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights." -Ellen White





3 comments:

Heather said...

This reminds me to be optimistic. Thanks.

Melissa R said...

Wow. I love this. Again - I'm proud of you Richard Young. :) It's always getting better.

lilly ruth said...


i love this