Friday, June 21, 2013

Don't listen to Lebron


You can overcome anything. Anything is possible. If you want it hard enough you can achieve it. The American dream is yours if you want it badly enough.
A few weeks ago I was at a graduation where a young man got up in front and told his story. When he was coming out of high school he didn't get very good grades. He didn't know if he would be successful in college. But then somebody believed in him. He got an incredible scholarship and he went to college and got a degree. He never thought that it was going to happen the way it did. He told everyone in the audience that the reason that he got through and was able to get his degree is that he believed in himself. When he said that I got very uncomfortable. As everyone was applauding his speech I was thinking about what was missing from it.
 The truth is that you can't do anything that you set your mind on doing. You could want something worse then anything, but if you don't have the ability to get it then it wont happen. That's a pretty obvious statement. I do not know the guy who gave the speech at the graduation. For all I know he might have an awesome friendship with Jesus. But when he says that you just have to "believe in yourself" I think that for a Christian the opposite is true. We must believe in ourselves less. I am not talking about having a low self image or low self worth. I am talking about where we are getting our self image and self worth from. I am saying that the American dream should not be our dream if we are to follow Christ.
 Christ loves me and he wants to bless my life. But I don't think he is concerned with blessing it the way I might want it to be blessed. A big house, a big salary, a nice car, these are things that I covet. Christ isn't interested in those things for me. He knows about a happiness that exists on this earth that I haven't really thought about. He knows about it because humans have walked on this earth and had this kind of joy. Enoch walked with God.
 Lebron's message is the same message of every good person out there that wants to make a difference but really doesn't know where true happiness comes from. "Believe it and you can achieve it". "Hard work pays off". It's alot easier to say this kind of thing when you are the best basketball player in the world. If success in your mind is being at the top or being the best to be the best then maybe Lebron's equation would work. Maybe the American dream can come true for you. I just want you to change your dream. If you desire to be a Christian then let your dream be to walk closely with God. You can start tomorrow morning with some time with him.

4 comments:

Paradise said...

Oh sweat. I like that.
"I just want you to change your dream."

Unknown said...

Amen! I like how you spoke up about this. I 100% agree with you, Rich. Happy Sabbath, mi hermano. :)

Emily said...

Interesting, not sure I agree with you here. But interesting.

YCY said...

Completely true!