Friday, February 19, 2010

The Great Debate Andy or Zac?

Ever since my article came out on Wednesday the internet has been buzzing about it.  Ok thats not entirely true.  I have been telling people that I see on the street about it and then they give me their opinion.  But of course we all have our own opinion of things.  Most people's opinions are shaped by their biases.  For example if you were to talk to a Denver Bronco fan they would tell you that John Elway is the best QB of all time.  If you were to talk to a 49ers fan they would tell you that Joe Montana is the best QB of all time.  These opinons are derived from their loyalty to there team (They are both wrong everybody knows that Daniel Force is the best QB of all time.  What he did in intramurals was redunk). When I wrote this article I tried as hard as I could to be unbiased.  I am in fact good friends with everyone that made the All 10 year tournament team.  I still keep in contact with most of them.  (Except Brit.  Where is that dude?)  I  also am in a good position to have seen all of these guys play in the tournament and in their prime.  Like I said in my facebook post I am pretty confident in the fact that nobody can get with me on Union Tournament History/Knowledge.  If anyone was to get with me it would be one of these people.  Oh and I am leaving any college student off of this list because college students think they know everything.  But they have no idea. 
Rick Spaulding:  It's his tournament and he's here everyday of his life.
Mama Didn't raise no fool Buell Fogg:  Buell has only seen half of the good games at this tournament.  That's what happens when you are the public address announcer in the thunderdome for the last 20 years.  I will give him props in saying that I have never known him under any circumstance to bring that weak stuff.
Mike Fogg:  AKA Fogger.  The man has a lifetime of knowledge and has been coming to this tournament since Moses was wearing short pants.
Natalie Young:  Oh wait she has never seen a tounament game in her life.  But she is a fine lady.
Am I missing anyone else?
So what I am trying to say is that I've got the credentials to make an argument here.  And I will only accept the opinons of a few people.  But like they say opinions are like _____ everybody's got one.  I want to break down why each of the 10 year players made my team and then I would like to break down the Zac/Andy argument down a little further.

SG Chavez Morris:  There have been a few people that have questioned Chavez being on this team.  You people are wrong and let me tell you why.  Chavez was everything to the Minnetonka Royals his last two years.  He did not have very much help and he still dominated the game.  I watched him play many games and I can't say that he was a super ballhog.  He was one of the smartest highschool basketball players that I have seen.  Not to mention he played solidly as a freshman and sophomore.  There would be games that he needed to take most of the scoring load and he did that.  There would be games where he was able to get his teammates involved and he did that.  Solid four years playing for the Royals.  Great Career.  If you were to take Chavez off of this list then who would you have instead of him?  Some people would put my man the Candyman on the team (Michael Polite).  To that I would say that Michael was an amazing basketball player but he didn't really take off till his sophomore year of college.  If this was the "10 year don't guard this guy cause he will embarrass you in front of your friends team" then Michael would be #1.  But it's not.  Michael did have the benefit of playing with some better teammates (cough, cough) but I would still have to give it to Chavez for his consistency. That being said Michael is the pg on the All Union Warrior team but that's a different article.

PG Michael Beans:  I think I said alot about Michael in the previous article.  I think the strongest argument you can have for him is four years and four championships.  I don't want to say to much because I think he reads this blog and I don't want him to think that I think he is a good player.  Paradise still has a question for Michael Beans.  He asks:  Mike can you dunk? Michael was a pg/sg but I just want to say what Bill Self (Basketball Genius) says about how he judges point guards.  The only stat he cares about when it comes to point guards is winning.  If you win then the point guard did his job.  If that really is the case then people shouldn't have any question on Beans.

PF  Brit Sigh:  I don't like to write about Brit because it hurts to bad.  I remember when I made the Union team and I was finally on the same team with him there was a huge sense of relief.  I felt safe in his arms.  (Pause)  I know this is supposed to be on what Brit did in the tournament but if you want you can go back and read about that.  I really think he is the most solid person on this list.  He was the only person to be voted in unanimously. Sike I'm the only one voting, (my blog: Big Rich loves to picnic!)  The first points Brit Scored as a Union Warrior was his patented "I'm fittin to chicken wing this dude and then dunk on another dude's head move."  For the amount of times he did that move and didn't get called for an offensive foul was amazing. 

C Matt Gal:  Once again I don't have to explain this pick but I have a story.  Last year Matt's team won the intramural championship at Andrews University.  They beat a team from Andrews academy in the championship game.  This year when I was doing a college fair at Andrews I sat down with some players from the basketball team and asked them how that championship game went.  At first they tried to play it off like Matt didn't dominate them and turn them into smallish ladies.  But as the conversation went on I got one of the dudes to admit "that dude was so nasty".  I told them that Matt was actually the best player that had ever went to Union and that he made a D1 team but decided not to play because of the Sabbath.  Matt doesn't really tell alot of people this so when these guys heard this they immediately felt better about that loss.
"So that guy is really good?"  "Uhh yeah he is."

SF Zac Allen or Andy Larson:  After I finished my article the other day I wasn't sure if I was completely comfortable to leave Andy off of my team.  And the more I think about it the more I think Andy has just as good of an argument or better to be on this team.  The problem I had is a problem not uncommon to young men.  It's called "new over not so new" and "Style over substance".  If we were to break down the stats of Andy's time at "The Wood"  we would be able to see that he was everything to that squad.  I'd like to compare him right now to Scottie Pippen when Jordan was playing for the Birmingham Barons.  (Scottie was sick).  He was a stat stuffer that filled out the box score in a lot more then scoring.  He also might have an edge over Zac in the "being the most competitive dude on the court" category.  Please don't overlook this.  That category has been making ok players great for years. What Zac had was the flashy eye popping dunks.  What he also had going for him is (I don't want to say this) 1999 was a long time ago.  Andy's career highlights might not be as fresh in the old noggen.  It's a shame that some kids don't even know who the ballers are that paved the way for the Mid America Union Basketball Tournament.  One last story.  My freshman year Sunnydale had the tournament at their place.  Maplewood was playing someone in the Saturday night prime time game and I was sitting on the stage.  I remember Andy came down on a fast break and dunked so hard that the basket that was attached to the roof swung backwards and started to move up.  Andy hung on for dear life.  The ref gave him a tech.  I hate refs.  So there you have it.  Andy vs Zac.  You decide.  And if you are a person that  has a credible opinion then holler at me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rich, you forgot to mention that Matt outscored Andrews University's starting center 34-4 in a head-to-match up in one of our A-league Intramural games last year. And you also forgot to tell everyone how I was the John Paxson/Tony Delk/Kevin Durant of that team too. Ok, the Kevin Durant thing might have been a bit much.

Trey

Unknown said...

I didn't see Andy play in high school, but I played with him at some late night Culver ball a few times. I played against Zac 3 times when we were both in high school and watched him for years after that. Just based off of my experience, I would have to give the nod to Andy. Both were great players, but Andy was a much better long-distance shooter and all around player. I like the substance vs. style comparison.

All that being said, this talk about no one meaning more to their team applies heaving to Zac for both his time at Minnetonka and at Union. The dude took half-decent teams and gave them a chance against anybody this side of a Matt Gal squad.

Logan said...

One time I tried to make a rainbow pass to Nnamdi Nnanji.. Zac decided to take that, I then somehow grabbed onto Zac's arm and attempted to foul him. While I did this, Zac jumped and had a disgusting dunk on me. I don't think Andy could have done that. Zac gets the nod.

Unknown said...

Was that the one at PVA that got played on a loop in the boys dorm for like three days?

Anonymous said...

Andy. POWER forward with range. Most underrated passer of that era too. He could've ran Point if asked. - Ed

RKC said...

I wouldn't want to say you overlooked something but Matt Gal also had a commanding presence playing floor hockey. And I will go with Andy, and Force has that so locked up as the GREATEST QB.