Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My most hated teams. Hit the jump for the list


What makes you really hate a team in sports? As I am sitting here on my vacation watching some good college hoops I have been thinking about my most hated teams and what makes me really hate them. I don't know if I think like many of you but this is what really makes me hate teams.

1. Long time rivalries: Teams like the Denver Broncos and Mizzou Tigers are easy for me to hate due to the rivalry that my teams (Chiefs, Royals, and Jayhawks) have with them.

2. My general dislike of certain players: It's why people hate the Lakers. It's why I want the Heat to lose every game.

3. I hate them cause everyone hates them: Duke, Campion, Yankees. I'm just kidding about Campion I just don't like Michael Beans. Disiking a team for this reason is also a sign of respect.

4. Personal Grudges: North Carolina, St. Louis Cardinals, Minnesota Twins.

5. The Other Team's Fans: This goes into it alot more then people think. Hearing from the other team's fans is a direct reason why I hate some teams.

I have been thinking about this list throughout my life and it has changed alot depending on where I am in my life. When I break down each team that I hate I will let you in on a little bit of what I'm thinking.

10. The Oakland Raiiiddddderrrrrs: The reason I hate the Oakland Raiders is that I am a Kansas City Chiefs football fan. If you are a KC fan they let you know about how much you are supposed to hate the Raiders in the orientation. In these last few years the Chargers have had alot more success against us then the Raiders have so I should hate them more. But it just doesn't work like that. I hate the Raiders as a rule. The reason that they are this low on my list is because they are so self destructing that sometimes you feel bad for them. Darius Heyward Bey, JaMarcus Russell are perfect examples of this. That being said I still hate them with a hatred that is deep in my soul. Iptdafoo being such a nice guy is another factor that puts them this low.

9. The Miami Heat: I hate the Heat becase I hate Lebron James. Do I need a reason to hate Lebron James? I don't know, I don't care. There is also another factor in this that I will explain later.

8.Hyman Brand Hebrew Academy: If you are looking at this and you are not from Midland You are probably saying huh? This is the team that I was never able to beat in all my high school years. We thought they were our rivals. They probably didn't feel the same way about us because they always beat us. Since they are a Jewish school our games would always be the big Saturday night game. We always thought we would win. We never did. There are historic stories about how I blew the game for us that I won't get into at this time.

7. The Minnesota Twins: The Twins have followed me around wreaking havoc. In 1991 my beloved Atlanta Braves lost the World Series thanks to some cheating from the Twins. They are also a favorite team of a guy who is a nemesis on three teams on this list. Jason Odenthal has just the right amount of arrogance and confidence that makes me hate every team that he pulls for (minus the undefeated 2010 Union College Intramural basketball champions) The Twins are what is right about baseball. They are so good at what they do that they still make it to the playoffs and contend without the huge payroll (The Yankees are what's wrong with baseball and an honorable mention on my hate list). The way that they do things makes me believe that the Royals could maybe do it. Except they beat the Royals every year over and over again. I hate them.

6. The Duke Blue Devils: I hate them and Jason Odenthal. Seriously I hate Duke because of Dickie V, their fans (none of them have ever been to Cameron Indoor Stadium) because of the refs, and because they are very easy to hate. I was actually rooting for K State last night.

































5. Kentucky Wildcats: Dear Trey, Please don't be offended that your beloved Kentucky Wildcats are the 5th most hated team my list. It's kinda a sign of respect. It's not about you...well maybe it is. You are such a good fan that I don't want to your team to win. And because you are a good fan I hate your team. But it's mostly that I hate John Calipari. Who doesn't? Trey you are the one of the best fans that I know. I felt bad for you when Kentucky was going through its lean years. But now that they are back I hate them and all of their one and doners. Love you though.

Big Rich

4. Mizzou: Everybody knows that I'm from Kansas City. Not many of you know that I'm from the Missouri side. I lived in Missouri and I went to school in Kansas. This made my life a little confusing. When I was in the seventh grade I became a KU basketball fan. That is partly because there are more people that go to Midland from Kansas then Missouri. When March madness came along I distinctly remember Jennifer Rieke cheering on KU Basketball. This was the year that they had the starting lineup of Raef, Paul, Scott, Jacque, and Jared. Probably one of the best teams ever not to make the final four. I watched them and I fell in love. I am a loyal guy so I also cheered for Mizzou since I lived in Missouri. This is hard to understand for people but that is how I felt. Because I didn't attend KU I think it was easier for me to cheer for Mizzou when they didn't play KU. As a matter of fact when Kareem Rush went to Mizzou I was his biggest fan. I even had a Mizzou jersey with his number on it (which I was wearing when I met Derek Jeter at P.F. Changs but that's a different story). There are not many college basketball fans at Union College so when I got there no one really gave me a problem with rooting for both KU and Mizzou. Everything was going fine until I graduated and I met a young man named Logan Stout. At first everything was fine. You see when Logan got to Union he wasn't into sports. He loved his Mizzou tigers but didn't really know what was going on with them. I even invited him to watch the most important game of my life with me (KU vs my #1 hated team in the final four). And in turn I braved a Big 12 Championship at Arrowhead stadium with him a year later. But something happened as Logan went through college that I feel partly responsible for. He started watching sports. And now he talks so much trash that I can't handle it. Now I want his teams to lose all the time. He is single handedly responsible for my hatred of Mizzou and their ranking on this list. He is also halfly responsible for my hatred of the Miami Heat (If Lebron punched Logan's mom in the face Logan would get mad at his mom for being in Lebron's path to a championship). I love Logan and he is my boy. I want his teams to lose every game they play.

3. Campion Academy: The Duke of Seventh Day Adventist Basketball. I was about to write a whole article about the things that these two programs have in common but I think I will save it for the basketball tournament. Just thinking about it is crazy. So I will let you wonder why I hate them till then. And just to make this clear I have a ton of friends that have played basketball at Campion Academy and I love them. Lots of respect for the program. As a matter of fact I probably respect each one of these teams on my list. I'm going to hold off on this one till February.

2. Denver Broncos: Number 1 and 2 are so close on my list that it really depends on what season it is. That being said I will leave Denver #2 for right now. I wan't to give you a little insight on what it is to be a Union College student from Kansas City. When you first enroll at Union you see all of your friends from your hometown moving in and you are pumped because you know a few people. Then you start seeing unfamiliar faces. People that you don't recognize. There are lots of these faces. Let me tell you where these people are from. Colorado. A few here and there are from Minnesota but most of them are from Colorado and they are all Denver Broncos fans. And you look at them and you realize that it is you and your little italian friend's job to represent the Chiefs in this hostile atmoshphere. When I was a student Denver was winning the AFC West all of the time. They were a powerhouse. They had some of my most hated players ever. Ed Macaffrey, Rod Smith, Terrell Davis, John Lynch, Romonowski, Shannon Sharpe, and one of my least favorite players of all time John Elway. The combination of the heated rivaly and their Union College fans make this team one of my most hated. Look for a comment from Mikeydise later to explain his strange obsession/hatred of the Denver Broncos.


1. North Carolina Tarheels: The story of my hatred of Roy's Boys is so dramatic and heartbreaking that it could be a movie on Lifetime. It's like this. I loved Roy Williams so much that I would defend him till I died. He took one of my favorite KU teams (03 Hinrich and Collison) to the final four. He is what I knew about College Basketball. And then something happened. When I got back to my dorm room in April of 2003 I saw all of the messages on my answering machine (yes people had those in 03) I knew they were all haters clowning on my beloved Hawks. I was so heartbroken over the loss to Syracuse in the championship game that I couldn't think. I just got in my bed and cried myself to sleep (this may or may not have happened). To find out a few days later that my favorite coach in the world was leaving us to go to North Carolina was the worst thing that could have possibly happened. Since we beat North Carolina on our way to the 2008 National Championship I have been able exorcise those demons but I still want them to lose every game that they play.

So that is my list. It's my list and not yours. Now I need yours. I am making a formal request that Jason, Jimmy, Dise, Trey, Logan, Seth, J Hen, and anyone that I talk sports with to give me at least their top 5 most hated teams in the comments.

13 comments:

Jimmy Phillips said...

I'm working on the list!

Unknown said...

Yankees
Lakers
Yankees
Lakers
Yankees

Unknown said...

Chiefs
Lakers
Yankees
Missouri
North Carolina

Unknown said...

It's just too bad that we aren't better friends, Rich. I'm sure that sports would link the majority of our hypothetically beautiful friendship (that and not dating Sarah Erickson). Anyways...

1. Minnesota Vikings- I've always hated them, but the fact that they have a history of taking a lot of Green Bay Packers players (FAVRE, Sharper, Longwell, and others) I hate 'em.

2. Philadelphia Eagles- I don't hate them that much anymore, but growing up they would always play dirty against the Pack and ALWAYS beat us, I hated it.

3. Denver Broncos- They robbed me of my childhood dreams of 2 Super Bowl wins back-to-back. And yes, I too hated Elway.

4. Duke & Texas & Wake Forest- Can't describe it, but...I'm a hater of these 3.

5. Campion & Hyman Brand & a northwest basketball team in Washington State by the name of Orcas Island Christian Academy- Nope, I never played varsity bball at Midland, but I still felt the rivalry in all those losses to HB. I still believe that if my family hadn't moved, I could've contributed to the wins that eventually came to my class and the class(es) above and below me. Those were my BOIS along with Mr. Seltman. Yet, things changed. And so when I was the only remotely athletic player on a varsity team of slugs and turtles at Skagit Adventist Academy, I leaned on the teachings of team play that Mr. Seltman had taught me and still scored 30-50 points on average per game whilst all along dishin' the ball to my slow-mo homies(which often bounced off their heads, hands, legs...and out of bounds). Orcas Island was a school that beat us by 1-2 points each time. I hated them, end of story.

Unknown said...

oh i forgot to put in Metro, Olathe Christian and Hyman Brand even though i can say that we beat them my senior year but i still thought they were a bunch of douches!

Logan said...

Funny that you would have a most hated list.. I love to hate on things. People say that I am a hater all the time, and I don’t really know why that is. So I actually found this list rather difficult.

Honorable Mention: Cincinnati Reds, Boston Celtics, Campion Academy, Justin Henry’s Intramural Team.

5. Midland – I really badly wanted to put Campion right here, because of how much I hated Jason Odenthal in high school, that would show that he actually matters to me. So Midland is my choice. I have always hated Midland. When I was a kid the tournament wasn’t at UC it was at Sunnydale. We always lost to Midland, it wasn’t until I was in high school that we beat them for the first time in their schools history. Sunnydale girls beat them last week, I hope they lose many games this year.

4. Cubs – I am a Cardinals fan, they are our “biggest” rival. My dad taught me how to shoot a rifle at pictures of Sammy Sosa. I hate them. If they were relevant they would be higher.

3. Los Angeles lakers – Wellllll Obviously we have a RAPIST in Los Angeles. I don’t hate LA because they win rings or a lot of games, I hate LA for one simple reason. Kobe Bean Bryant. I have never liked Kobe, NBA was a big deal for me and I hated that a guy could get charged with rape, still be loved. He could get rid of the most dominant player ever to pick up a basketball, still be loved. Whine and cry for a few years until he gets handed Pau so they could win again, still be loved. I hate Kobe cause he is good at basketball but has been a punk in the process. I also hate him because people are ignorant enough to say that right now, he is better than LeBron. I love LeBron, I hope he sees this.

2. Kansas Jayhawks – I hate KU for the same reason as the Cubs. MU and KU have the longest multi-sport rivalry in history and that is why I hate them. I would put them at #1 but they are actually good at something so when I hear someone say they are a KU fan I have a little respect. However, all KU fans are only Bball fans and not REAL college sports fans by any means. I hope they are #1 and always lose to MU oh and lose early in the tournament every year. (that last one comes true a lot)

1. Nebraska Cornhuskers – This one was wayyy too easy. I lived in Lincoln for 4 years and I have grown to hate the Huskers more than any team and it’s not even close. The fans are such homers, so cocky and arrogant. They think they know everything about sports and that they are the best team ever. I am happy to see them leave the big 12 they have been mediocre in football lately and pulling us down in basketball. I have never been happier than when I went to the MU game and we throttled them 52-17. I hope this teams bus crashes tomorrow.

D-Hacky said...

I wasn't invited, but since I don't get Feast Week over here, I have a little time on my hands.


5. Purdue- I grew up a Hoosier, and Hoosiers make fun of Boilers. Purdue, where you go to learn how to fail at life.

4. Kentucky- Trey, we used to have such a good friendly banter going about c-ball. Then your A.D. went out and hired Satan reincarnate as a head coach. You do realize that Bruce Pearl and Satan are cut from the same cloth right? But I still love you though. Don't get too mad at my comments, it's all in good jest... and I have God on my side, and he has Tom Crean on his. WE'RE TWO SEASONS OUT FROM AN ELITE EIGHT! Ouch, I am hoping for an elite eight.

3. Chicago Cubs- Yes, they are my favorite team. Therefore I am allowed to put them on my list. Damn you, WGN (via antenna, sans cable) for getting me hooked. Mark Grace, Ryne Sandburg, Shawn Dunston, and my favorite player of all time, Andre Dawson, did it to me at such a young age.

2. Detroit Pistons- Ben Wallace, you ruined my favorite franchise and robbed the greatest clutch shooter of all time, (yup, said it) Reggie Miller, of a title. Oh, and add Ron Artest to that list.

1. The New England "Tom Brady and anyone else from there can go fornicate themselves with an iron stick" Patriots. They have two of our (Colts) rings. The night we beat them in the AFC title game (en route to Super Bowl XLI victory) still remains as one of the greatest nights of my life. I swear the celebrations on the Circle that night is what I think heaven will be like. I hate them so much that I cursed random asian strangers Monday after I watched the game.

Unknown said...

LOL. D-Hacky, you cracked me up! Especially your #1 most hated team. I agree with you on that one.

Jason Odenthal said...

5) Packers: Historically they are better, and it took one of their greatest players to get us to the NFC championship game. When your biggest NFL rival is good and your team sucks they make the list.

4) White Sox: Is there two bigger homers in baseball than the Sox's announcers. I want to punch the TV every time I have to listen to their obnoxious voices. Plus I get sick and tired of the media loving them when the twins are the better club.

3) College View Academy: Thought about Midland here, but as much as I disliked Rich in high school he could not carry them to this spot. CVA gets the honors due to the worst fan base in the history of any sport(exception the city of Philly). They are a black eye for the Mid-America tournament.

2) North Carolina: 75% of their fans are fans because MJ played their. This was close to number one due to Harrison Barnes committing to UNC, but he has not been living up to the hype so they sit here. I hate them so much I hope they miss the NIT this year!

1) Yankees: This is the franchise that Satan cheers for. They have the biggest group of steroids users in baseball. They buy everyones players, and they are covered 24/7. Not to mention they own my beloved Twins.

Tim said...

5. Duke - I hate this team because during my time at Union everytime I asked a gorgeous girl such as Brittany Hauck what team she roots for, her and millions of others would say Duke . . when I asked why? they would reply it's the rich preppy school full of hot white guys. All the boys who wore A&F supported Duke too. I hate rich and preppy.

4. Serbian National Waterpolo team - the only team that has an outside chance at beating my country Croatia in any major tournament.

3. Everyone hates a team Jason Odenthal supports and I am no different. Jason supports Arsenal. Arsenal are the scum of the English Premier League and the only team to challange my teams dominance from 1990-2005.

2. The French National soccer team . . in 1998, Croatia, my tiny country of 2 million people got to the World cup semi-finals beating Germany and Argentina along the way. In the semi-final, France being the host, got favour from referee who was very biased and didn't give us 2 clear penalties. in the last 2 minutes a player who's never scored a goal, scored 2 for France, we lost 2-1 and there went our dream of playing Brazil in the final.

1. If you support Manchester Untied Football Club . . Liverpool no matter how good or bad they currently are . . are the ultimate enemy and source of hatred.

Honourable mention to any team coached by Ron Dodds, Campion Academy, the Pacers (rivals of my beloved NY Knicks) and Lebron James (he is a one man team right?)

Michael Adams said...

Whenever I think of the Serbian National Waterpolo Team, I break out in hives.

Jimmy Phillips said...

My list is centered around college sports -- because although I love my Chiefs, Lakers and Braves, I'm Husker through and through. But I do hate some pro teams too...

5. Yankees -- I'll never forgive them for screwing the Braves out of two WS in a row.
4. Mets and Phillies -- I just hate them.
3. SA Spurs -- Specifically that flopper, Manu.
2. Oakland Raiders -- see Big Rich's initial post.
1. John Elway and the Denver Broncos -- I cried myself to sleep when the Chiefs lost to Denver in the 97 playoffs. That was still the best Chiefs team I remember, we had a legit Super Bowl. I hate you Elway. And refs who called TG's TD incomplete, I hate you too.

Now, my college list. The interesting thing about this list is that it will likely change as the Huskers move from Big 12 to Big 10. But there will always be a disdain in my heart for some of the Big 12.

My hate list now:

10: All Big 12 teams not listed -- I root against everyone accept the Huskers.
9: All Florida teams not listed -- goes without saying.
8: Texas A&M -- I may be blinded by current hate. But I will always root against them after the infamous Nov. 20, 2010 travesty in College Station.
7: Texas Tech -- I hate you and crappy Lubbock.
6: Iowa -- This hate isn't going anywhere.
5: The U. Yes, we got you in 1994. But you jobbed us on multiple occasions. I hate you and your thugs.
4: Oklahoma and Texas -- I hate you both. I hope the Red River rivalry is filled with blood.
3. Kansas State -- I hate you for trying to rip Eric Crouch's face off and them celebrating once you finally beat us. I have enjoyed destroying you again these past few years.
2. Colorado -- Actually, I just think they're stupid.
1. Missouri -- Funny, Logan. I hate Missouri for their fans too!

Okay, my list in two years....well move Iowa up to number one and add Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and some team that really decides to tick me off. But I would almost guarantee Iowa and Penn State end up 1-2.

Struggling to Cope said...

10. Kansas State
9. Missouri
8. White Sox
7. Raiders
6. Broncos
5. Yankees
4. North Carolina
3. Kentucky
2. Lakers
1. Duke