Friday, June 13, 2014

Things my Dad taught me.

My Dad didn't sit me down and have me write things down when he wanted to teach me something. He taught me by his example. I don't know if it has translated to my life, but I am trying. A few things he has taught me:

1. How to save money/be generous
My mom was always telling us about how careful our Dad was with money. Sometimes it would drive us crazy how careful he was, but because he was careful it allowed him to be very generous. When I worked at Applebees in college he would bring the whole family in and sit in my section. Other servers would have their families come in and get the discount that Applebees offered to families of employees. They would use this to their advantage. My father would not use this as an opportunity to save money but an for an opportunity to help me out. Sometimes he would tip 200%. My father didn't buy me car, but a huge chunk of the money that I bought my first car with was from tips that my dad left me.

2. How to be a husband
I did not realize how much my dad had an effect on me until my first year of marriage. Anytime something would happen I would subliminally think about how my dad handled things. I would do things the way Tom Young did them. My mom used to tell us boys that if we were ever half the husbands that our father is then we would be amazing husbands. I don't think I have reached half of what my dad is as a husband yet, but through God working on me I will get there. My dad is the best husband I know. He has helped my mom flourish in all of her endeavors. He is selfless. Every decision he has ever made either right or wrong has been about his wife and children first. 

3. How to live life
My dad isn't one to boast or brag. Because of how laid back he is he doesn't run up to people to tell them about his vacation like his son would. But I would like to say a few things about him, hopefully this won't embarrass him. 
My Dad is the smartest person I know. When he was about to be a senior in high school he became a Seventh Day Adventist Christian. He was attending a huge school in San Diego and was on track to be the Valedictorian of his class. Because of his faith he left that public school and finished his senior year at San Diego Academy. He went to La Sierra University and met my mom. He didn't graduate from college because he left after three years to go to medical school. In medical school he was the #1 student in his class. He is a concert pianist and an accomplished saxophone player. In his medical profession his morals are unquestionable. All of these things are great, but they don't impress me as much as this: He loves God more then anything. He reads his Bible every day. You can tell that glorifying God is the most important thing in his life.
He has organized a Revelation seminar at our church and has done it every year. Once I asked him how long he would continue doing his Revelation seminars and he replied "until Jesus comes back". 
His life hasn't all been easy. He has had to make tough decisions and his faith has been tested, but not shaken. If you would ask him his one piece of advice on how to live life he would say something like this: "I don't know anything, God knows everything, therefore I will not trust myself and I will trust God." I try to live my life this way.

I could talk about my dad for a long time. He learned everything he knows from my Grandpop, William Young. I come from a great line of husbands and fathers. God willing I will be able to keep learning from him and be a blessing to my family like he is to me.
















2 comments:

YCY said...

What a wonderful and beautiful tribute to your father. It is well deserved. He is all that you have said and more. If you follow his example, Nola will someday say the same thing about you. Continue to be the wonderful son that you are.

Paradise said...

Grandpop