Monday, June 18, 2012

Believe

As many of you know Justin Bieber's new album "Believe" comes out today (or tomorrow if you are reading this at 11:00 when I post it).  I have been looking forward to this album for a long time.  Last week me and the student workers got in an argument over whether or not Justin Bieber is a not talent clown or not.  I am obviously a fan of Bieber's work.  Maybe not as much as I put out on here but I actually like his music.  I do own a Justin Bieber doll that Azriel got me for Christmas.

And yes I did watch all of his performances from the Today show on Friday.

And yes this song is my jam.
But for the most part I like Bieber cause I am not supposed to and it is kinda funny if I do.  I think I enjoy when people are surprised that I like Bieber more then I actually like Bieber.  As much as I can I try to be an anti hater (with the exception of the Miami Heat remember I didn't jump onto the "Hate Lebron" bandwagon, I've been driving it from the beginning) It's easy for everyone to say something hateful about Bieber so I try to do the opposite.  Also his music makes people feel good.  If you can listen to Eenie Meanie and feel nothing then I don't know if we can chill.
As much as I like Bieber I think I am more interested in his life then a fan.  That sounds creepy.  Since I am too young to know what it was like when Michael Jackson came up, and since the internet wasn't going crazy when Justin Timberlake was exploding it feels like Bieber's career is unfolding in front of our lives on the internet.  How will he handle it?  How will he mature?  How does he treat people?  What has all of this success done to him?  If I said I wasn't interested in the answers to these questions I would be lying.  I've seen so many celebrities...change that I've seen so many people make terrible decisions as they get older and I am hoping that Bieber will be able be a positive influence.
A couple of weeks ago I was in a fancy department store in NYC.  I was on the top floor in the shoe section when I started a conversation with the shoe guy about which celebrities have come in to buy shoes.  He was telling me that most celebrities are real cool.  They like privacy as much as anyone else, but when you get to talk to them they are pretty nice people.  Then he said "you know which celebrity came up here and was a huge pain?  Justin Bieber"  He told me all about how Justin had come up with his entourage a couple months back.  According to this shoe salesman's story Justin was a complete jerk running around the store driving people nuts.  He would never talk to an employee but instead he spoke with his bodyguards who spoke with the employees to get sizes and that sort of thing. Justin was up there for about an hour trying on sneakers.  He had the whole staff running around trying to get him things. In the end he walked out of the store without buying anything.  A bodyguard made a lame excuse about Justin having to catch a flight.
Some people would hear this kind of story and be surprised that Justin is tool and belongs in someone's shed.  I was not surprised one bit by the story.  It did make me a little sad.  I guess I always hope that people will be grateful for their fame and fortune and treat people kindly, but I know that is usually not the case.  Most celebrities are jerks and if we didn't listen to their music or watch their movies because of how they behaved then we wouldn't watch or listen to anything.  When you think about it that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

No comments: