Monday, December 21, 2009

We need to take a break


Sometimes you just need a break. That is exactly what I need. I need a break from Arrowhead Stadium. I need a break from six dollar all beef premium dogs. I need a break from middle aged women cussing at the Chiefs while sitting next to their seven year old nephew. I need a break from six hours of driving on sundays. I need a break from listening to the radio guys tearing my team up every day. I need a break from 22$ parking. I need a break from our terrible defense. I need a break from pass dropping wide recievers. I just need a break. And I don't care what the Chiefs do from now on. Its gotten to that point in the relationship where we just need to spend some time apart. Its like the time you are dating someone and you just get so fed up with them that you don't care what they do with their lives. "You go your way and I am going to go my way. If you decide that you want to change some things then get back to me, but I can't continue in this relationship if you are going to act this way." That's what I want the Chiefs to do. Make a ton of off season moves. But you don't have to tell me about each and every one. I don't want to know about them. Just tell me when you are ready. Yesterday's performance from the Kansas City Chiefs was disgusting. As I am going through my day small doses of happiness slowly creep in and then I remember what happened.

As I was walking to the car yesterday with my boy Dise (who by the way is the only Chiefs fan who can get with me fanmanship wise) I pondered all of the fans that I have heard grumbling about never coming back to a Chiefs game again. They say that they are going to give up their season tickets next year. Some say they won't even watch the next game on tv. I wondered if that is going to be me someday. Is all the losing going to catch up with me. In the last two years I have made fifteen trips to Arrowhead stadium. I have driven home happy twice. I have spent a lot of money on this team and for all of it they have paid me back twice. What kinds of losses are these? Well I have been through it all. Losses in overtime. Losses on last second field goals. Blow out losses. Teams coming from behind and beating us. The Chiefs coming from behind to eventually come up short. When the Chiefs score a touchdown on offense I get excited for about four seconds. Then I sit back down and wait for our defense to let me down again.

I still consider myself a young guy. I know many people who would want to be 26 again. These Chiefs are still the Chiefs of my youth. And you know what happens to young people. They fall in love. I fell in love with the Chiefs on Halloween of 1999. We had been dating on and off before that but on October 31st my dad took to me to my first home game. Ever since then we have been trying work it out. I have always tried to be understanding. I have tried to listen. I have spent more then enough quality time with the Chiefs. Every time the Chiefs cheated on me I took them back. Everytime they took me for granted I forgave them. Everytime they made stupid decisions I tried to understand their situation. Why? Cause that's what you do when you are in love. And as much as I want to stop reading about them and listening to what someone says about them I will never be able to stop loving them. They are my high school sweet heart. They are my first true love. And when the time comes around and they come begging me to take them back I will probably do it. I just need a little time off right now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your pain. Reminds me of Bill and Coz's excellent 4 year adventure here in Lincoln.

-coworker

Andrew D Wilson said...

Dawg that's how I am feeling right now with the Bears. They are who we thought they were.

Anonymous said...

Sensible!
ycy

Anonymous said...

Ricky Lee says you ain't no fan, you prolly don't even know where the holes on defense are.

~tight

Anonymous said...

As a football fan overall, I can feel your frustration given that for the past 7 and (after last week's loss to the Eagles) now 8 years of missing the playoffs, my relationship with my team has had more lows than highs. Talent after talent has come and gone but without the chemistry, nothing is ever good. I have been fooling myself that every year is a "re-building" year and before you know it, you are 2 years away from it being a "re-building DECADE"! Wow....lol. Either way, a few years back there was a commercial of a father and son watching a Jets game. Both with NY jerseys. Year after year the father changed jerseys while the boys still had his NY. Then came the year where the Jets were good again, both wearing Jets jerseys, the father leans and says to the boy, "That's why we love the Jets". The boy gives him a look as if though asking "WE ?!?!".... Point is, faithfulness will eventually be rewarded; and when it is, it will be BitterSweet! KC will bounce back. Just give them time....and as you said......space. lol


Much Love for KC!

Anonymous said...

this movie could be called 500 Days of Autumn. - Ed Mejia (#2)