Wednesday, August 17, 2011

State Line Park

When I was in high school I played ball at this park down the street from my house called State Line Park.  In hindsight I probably shouldn't have been playing there.  It was a bunch of rough dudes that could have beat me up at any time.  I played down there because it made me feel tough.  My buddy who was alot bigger then me dunked on somebody at this park and then the guy who got dunked on turned around and hit my dude in the mouth busting his lip open.  He had to go to the hospital.  Like I said I don't really think me playing down here was the best idea.
Whenever I'm in Kansas City and I drive by this park I always think about those times.  The goal in the picture is the only basket that I have ever been dunked on at.  I shouldn't have jumped with that dude.  Last week when I drove by I saw a guy shooting hoops waiting for the crowd to get there.  I wandered up to him and talked with him for about fifteen minutes.  Right before I left I asked him if I could take his picture.  He asked me why and I told him it wasn't for any reason (sketchy I know).  He asked me what he should do and I told him to stand at the top of the key and look at me like I was stupid.  He did.  As I was leaving he made me promise to give him this picture when he got to be a famous writer.  He told me that he is 52 years old and he is writing a novel about when he was incarcerated in the late 80's.  He wouldn't tell me what he did to go to prison except for that it was "criminal in nature".  He was a cool guy.


4 comments:

LIME said...

I hope the dude gets famous, great shots too btw.

Logan said...

my dude looks good for 52

Trina said...

Love his picture. Nice!

C.Guty said...

Cool story!