Thursday, January 19, 2012

Intramural Power Rankings preseason

Some people say that I love basketball intramurals at Union College too much.  Well to them I say "you love it too little".  It is one of my favorite times of the year.  Conference season has just started in the Big 12, football is in the playoffs, NBA is really starting to get going, and I have my two favorite things coming up in the next month.  Basketball tournament and Basketball intramurals.  So without any further adieu lets rank these squads.

1. The Yellow Team Jared Henry and Michael Adams
For the purpose of this blog the yellow team will be considered the reigning champions of intramurals.  If you don't remember last year's championship game go here and read about it here.  Jared Henry and Aaron Flores are the lone returning members from last year's magical run, but we have to start here with the Champs at the top.  They aren't starting at the top just because they won last year, this is a good team.  Down low you have Michael Adams.  Last time he played in an intramural basketball game it was the championship game two years ago against the purple team.  He was one shot from winning that game and now he wants his revenge.  It won't take much time for him to get back into the game.  Jared Henry is the king of the "no he diint" shot.  But don't be fooled when he pulls that behind the head trickery, he is used to making that shot.  He is the heart and soul of this yellow team.  If he plays like he did last year it is going to be tough to stop him.  Drew Mekelburg is still stinging from his loss in football intramurals and he is here to take it out on the rest of us.  This team is poised and ready to make another title run.  The hardest thing to do is to repeat.  We will see if they can.

2.  The Orange Team "Dat Cup"  Micah Robinson and Richard Young
I know what you are saying.  Who does Richard think he is ranking his team so high.  Well let me ask you, did you expect any less?  (I'm finna go into third person mode) Richard's teams have been in the championship game in the last two years.  Just like Jared's team's he has come away with one win and one loss.  Yes Richard may be old...that's all he's old.  Some people have said that Micah Robinson looks so old that he could be Lebron's father.  I disagree, I think he looks like Kemba Walker's father.  He is probably the truest point guard in intramurals.  This will free up Richard to play off the ball more.  The next impact player on Dat Cup is Michael Paradise.  He is the oldest player in the league...he has three kids...Dat Cup players have five kids and one dog (WallaceDaDawgie) represented in their families.  I mean dang.  Paradise reunites with Young for the first time since they won their first basketball intramurals T shirts in 2005...(pause and reflect how old this team is...that was seven years ago b).  With all of this oldness how are they ranked two?  They bring the pain with their two youngest starters and strongest guys in the league Thomas and Braden.  Two rugged defenders and playmakers that bring toughness to this squad.  They round up their bench with smart players in D Cress (two keeds) and Chris Fairchild (no keeds that I know of).  Yes this looks like a complete team...of old people.  Question:  Which team won football intramurals?  Was it filled with Orange Jersey's?  Were the guys on the team old?  Hmm...

3.  Mitch Seltman and Jordan Breyer
These team captains are two former Warriors and Midland Mustangs who know how to compete and win.  The last time these guys played on the same team (sorry maplewood) they won a championship.  Mitch played on the Warriors two years ago before being a student missionary and Jordan did his thing on the team last year.  They have a lot of experience playing ball together.  And if that wasn't enough they brought their other teammate from high school Zack Frishman along to play with them.  Zack at times was the best player on the court in last year's intramurals.  He is a pure scorer that will be hard to stop.  Did you think this squad was done?  Well you were wrong.  They also have Hadji and Aaron Crews shooting the deep ball.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this will be the best three point shooting team in the league with Jordan, Zack, and Hadji.  I wouldn't try that 2-3 zone on these guys.  Ok I think we are done here...oh wait...I forgot about Tim "Scratch my ankles standing straight up" Lebard.  He was the sleeper pick last year but this year he has been given star treatment.  He is the Benny Wallace of intramurals.  Don't be surprised if this team is cutting down nets at the end of the season.

4.  The Gray Team Damien and Boomer
I think I have just made a mistake.  How have I ranked the most explosive team in the league at the bottom half of these power rankings?  The answer is I haven't (they are the middle).  I also I have a feeling that this team will read this and feel so disrespected that they take intramurals by storm.  But let's start on why they are ranked where they are.  Damien has had some good squad's in the past couple of years.  They just haven't been able to put it together.  Last year his squad was one win away from playing in the championship game.  He grabbed his boy Aaron Stanley again and they are looking to right all the wrongs and make a push for this championship game.  Damien has teamed up with Boomer who is a consistent jumper away from being the most feared scorer in this league.  His team last year would have had a chance to do big things if it wasn't for a draft day blunder.  They still played tough the whole season long.  Jeff Ratter has to step up and direct traffic if this team wants to play well. I think this team's major x factor is going to be the play of Andrew Stevens.  If he does what Damien drafted him to do this team will be tough to beat.  This team also has the most guys with girlfriends that will actually go and support them at the games.  Don't sleep on that.

Sidenote:  There are four married guys in this league.  Three of those guys are on one team.  The other is Hadji.  Hadji was married last summer so i'm betting Nelly will go to as many games as she can.  For the other three I am putting the over/under at three total wife appearances in the thunderdome.  That is three out of a possible 18 appearances (6 games x 3 wives).  Also I'm taking the under.

5.  Max and Kyle
The more I look at this league the more I think that there are going to be alot of tough games.  On paper I would not want to face team Max and Kyle.  They cut their ties with last year's co captains and have decided to see if they can find a better fit.  Max is a tough player because of his ability to stretch the D with his threes or go by his guy on the baseline.  Kyle has the most confusing game in the world.  He has the type of game where you think you are going to be able to get a hand on his shot but you can't and that mug goes in.  He probably has the highest percentage mid range jumper in this league.   Don't sleep on that.  This team also has one of the best defender's in Chapi.  Freshman point guard Will is going to have to step up for this team to reach it's potential.  If this team figures out how to play together then they will shoot up these power rankings.

Sidenote:  I think I'm only going to do a power rankings in the middle of the season and at the end right before the playoffs.  There are only six games and some of the team's schedules are end loaded.  I'll try my best to go to games and do stories on them though.  Why am I even doing this?

6.  Kody...
Special shout out to Kody Hines for being a captain in this league.  I know he didn't want to do it.  But here he is.  Kody went out and drafted all the big guys in this things.  Curt Carlson and Brock Reichert are going to be a load to deal with in the paint.  In order for this team to play well they are going to have to find the right mix and right person to set up their offense.  If they figure out how to get the ball to their best players in the paint then they are going to play well.

7.  Freshman Jared and Ryan
Hey!  Someone has to be last right?  No disrespect but the freshman squad gets put in the basement because they are freshman.  Ryan Chafee has a three point prowess and Jared can get into the lane.  They are going to have use this formula to win games.  They also have Riley Sicher patrolling the paint causing havoc.  Ron and Dalton's sophomore experience is going to have to be there in order for this team to move up.  They could make huge moves up the rankings if they figure each other out.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.  It seems like every year there is a freshman team.  This year this is it.  Good luck boys.  We won't tell you how the other Freshman squads did tell after the season.

All in all this looks like a really competitive league.  It's going to be alot of fun watching these teams try to figure out their formula for success.    Before I go to sleep I'll leave you with some predictions.

Most Likely to average 20 points:  Boomer


Most likely to average 10 assists:  Jared Messinger


Most likely to average 10 rebounds:  Michael Adams


Most likely to lead the league in 3 point shooting:  Zack Frishman


Defensive player of the year:  Tom


6th man of the year:  One of the Bernall boys


MVP:  I don't know


Championship:  I don't know.  I'll let you know soon

8 comments:

Drew Mekelburg said...

I hear there was a pretty good freshmen team last year.....

Paradise said...

My wife won't even know about the games. I'm gonna be going on a lot of "hospital visits" next month.

Logan said...

I think you set the "Most Likely's" too high, No one in this league will average, 20 pts or 10 of anything. Not if Steiner still keeping with that 20 minute run clock.

D CRESS said...

Okay this is one of the longest power rankings that I think you have written on here (or maybe it just felt like the longest). That being said I think its one of the better ones. You gave us some good details to think about. I agree that this league looks pretty competitive and its going to be a tough season for everyone that wants that shirt. Any of the top 5 on here could be in the championship if they are having a good night. I think that this is officially my longest comment on this blog. MILESTONES

ps thanks for saying "smart player" instead of slow and fat

Seth G. said...

The second I read "This will free up Richard to play off the ball more" I stopped reading. Everyone knows the first time "Dat Cup" gets down by 4 points, Richard is going to go "lemme see that ball" and never pass again.

Hate hate hate hate hate hate!!!!!

Disrespected said...

thanks for making me really pissed we are the best defensive team out there and the best post team DISRESPECT but thanks

Paradise said...

That was a bootsy comment.

PhreshTy said...

Pretty bootsy for sure Paradise. Power rankings at the beginning of the year are obviously not to serious :)

I realized they weren't serious at all when I heard Richard say the part about "playing off the ball". Mainly cuz that phrase makes me think of Ray Allen's game, which I think we all know is practically identical to Richards... (jokes) buuuut I think him having a true point guard like Micah is smart because he needs someone on his team to see the floor and spread the ball the other people on his team.

On a side note Kody's team looks huge. I wouldnt wanna go in the lane on them.

On another side note, watch out for Ryan Chaffee. Last time he played a real game he won the championship. Dude has a clutch gene.