Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Final Four 03 KU vs Marquette

If I am not going to be able to watch a sporting event live on tv and I really want to see it there are certain steps that I go through.  It's almost impossible to get to watch the game without knowing the score but it is possible.  First off I have to go on cell phone silence.  That doesn't mean I don't look at the phone if it rings.  That's to easy. Any single vibration of your phone can mean a thousand things.  For example let's say I am at church during a Jayhawks basketball game.  If I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket I instantly think it is one of my buddies texting me to tell me that they knew KU would lose.  But what if it is a different buddy texting me telling me that KU is killing!  These thoughts will bother me until I look at my phone.  And the worst thing that can happen when you are recording a game is to find out the score before you watch it.  You might as well not even watch it if you know the score.  That's why you must go on airplane mode on your phone.  Three years ago I wen't to every single Chiefs home game except for one.  The one I missed was because I was at my grandma's funeral in California.  I didn't go on airplane mode.  Wouldn't you know one of my friends texted me in the middle of the funeral making fun of the Chiefs (You are a jerk Jason Odenthal).
In college we had a fool proof system for getting the game taped and watching it after Sabbath.  This is before DVR and Cable in every dorm room.  Back then only one man had the power...Ron Dodds.  We would leave a video tape in an unmarked envelope in his mailbox.  In the unmarked envelope there specific video taping instructions.  We would then get the video tape at 15 minutes after.....Actually we just gave a tape to Ron and asked him to record the KU game for us.  He would say sure.
Kansas played Marquette in the first game of the final four in 2003.  Marquette was led by a guy that was unknown named Dwayne Wade.  After this season he went on to make a fine little career for himself in the National Basketball Association.  To get into the final four Marquette destroyed Kentucky.  We knew that this game was huge.  But it was on Sabbath.  So after V2 Michael and I wen't to Ron's door. Ron opened the door and handed us the tape.  We didn't look him in the eye.  If you look into someone's eye who knows the score you will instantly know the score.  We ran up the flights of steps to our fifth floor penthouse.  Right as we were about to get into our room one of our buddies who was a casual Jayhawks fan saw us.  We saw him first so we tried to dive into our room before locking eyes and finding out if we won.  Right before we closed the door and got out of harm's way we heard the phrase "How about them Jayhawks".  We knew we won.  Another attempt to watch a taped game without knowing the score failing.  That is why whenever I don't want to know the score I lock myself in the cellar and turn off my phone.  Tomorrow I break down Syracuse and the Quarter story.  I looked all over the intertubes and couldn't find any video of this game.  So instead here is some D Wade College vids.  We beat this team