Monday, April 30, 2012

Sets practical goals

I think of things very simply.  That probably means that I'm a simple minded person.  I don't really have a problem with that.  When I am preparing to talk to a group of people I always develop my main point first and then I move backwards from there filling in everything else that I want to say.  Maybe that is why I am able to set practical goals for myself.
I am an emotional person but strangely there is not to much emotion in the way I go about setting goals for myself.  I have goals in my professional life.  But for right now I want to share with you my goals overall in life.  They are very simple and they are what I chase everyday.

1.  Learn:
When I was younger I was a very curious person.  I would read quite a bit.  I loved books.  I loved acquiring knowledge.  Then school happened.  I wasn't a bad student.  But I wasn't on the President's list either.  There was not enough time to read for pleasure and play late night every night.  Before I played basketball I loved to read.  Now that basketball has left me I have come back to reading. In the last three weeks I have read about six books. I am not a fast reader.  I am just constantly reading.
On Writing-Stephen King
The Firm-John Grisham.  Read this in a 24 hr period
The Slaughterhouse Five- Kurt Vonnegut
Lolita- Vladimir Nabakov
The Great Gatsby- F Scott Fitzgerald
The Catcher In The Rye- J.D. Sallinger

If you have read any of these and want to chat about them let me know.
I am not telling you about my love of reading to brag or say that I'm some intellectual because I'm not.  I am just pointing out that I do this because I want to know what all the hubub is about.  I want to learn from these stories.  I just want to learn.  Also one time my boss told me that readers are leaders.  I took that to heart.

2.  Develop My Relationships:
Throughout life I find myself constantly juggling relationships.  There are some relationships that need maintenance.  There are some that require very little.  Michael Paradise and I don't have to talk for a month and we can still strike up a conversation anytime about the Chiefs, Royals, Jayhawks, or IzabyDaBaby's texting habits.  We don't have to talk but we like to.  I'm sure many of you have low maintenance relationships that you enjoy.  Now that I'm at the ripe old age of 28 I can decide which relationships to keep and which to not concern myself with.  The relationships that mean the most to me I am constantly trying to develop.  I have two relationships that I care the most about. It is very important to me that my wife and I are growing in the same direction.  Many times we are not on the same page.  I don't think God created a person that thinks more differently about things than I do.  Luckily we have the same foundation that all of the other things that we are so different in can work themselves out through communication and love.  My goal is to constantly develop our relationship so that one day we will understand everything about each other (This will never happen but I'm going to enjoy the journey).
The other relationship that I am trying to develop is my relationship with God.  When Jesus comes back I would like for him to recognize me.  I picture him looking out through the mass of people and picking me out because I am his friend and he knows me.  I develop this relationship by trying to take time each day to read about Jesus and talk to him.  Some days I succeed and other days I don't.
I think that something unpractical about these goals is that I will never reach them.  I know that we are supposed to set goals out of reach but not out of sight, but when I think of main goals for my life I couldn't think of anything better.  I think that through always trying to achieve these goals in my private life my professional, and personal lives will take care of themselves.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

"What a good read" ;)

Logan said...

Are you reading any good Christian books? Just curious, you were saying you are spending time reading about Jesus, wondered if you'd read anything good in that realm?

Big Rich said...

I've been making my way through the conflict of the Ages series. I've made it to the Desire of Ages. I have never read it before. I love the way Ellen White talks about Jesus. I've also been reading the "Everyman's battle" series. A book that I recommend to everyone that is married is the Real Marriage book by Mark Driscoll. Natalie and I have been reading that together.

C.Guty said...

Love me some Grisham