Thursday, January 21, 2010

When it's so sweet.

Intramural season starts for my squad today in the Thunderdome. It's an exciting time that everyone should be a part of tonight at 5:30. As I woke up this morning I began to reflect on all the intramural teams that I've been on. This being my eighth spring at Union I have had several teams. I've played 7 intramural seasons with very little success. This weekend my boy Michael Polite was in town and like friends that haven't seen each other in a while we stayed up till 3:30 in the morning talking about the good ole days. The good ole days revolve around basketball. We were talking about our best wins that we have had personally and why they are our favorites. My top best wins in no particular order are the Alumni game my senior year. The 2002 Union College basketball tournament. The 3 on 3 tournament senior year when we beat Mile High twice in a row to get the ship. The 2005 Intramural championship. When Mr. Murrill and I beat Mark and Mike (you might not remember this Mark but it happened). And last but not least when Michael Paradise, Russell Keller and myself beat Polite, Marcus Mott, and Mike Moss in a three on three game at the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park CO. The last one might be the crown Jewell of them all. Michael Paradise got so mad at the end of the game cause he was always trying to stop us from trash talking. Marcus and I got mad at each other because we were trash talking. And Russell got mad at Mike Moss cause Mike was trippin (I just made that last part up)(actually Mike was probably trippin but Russell didn't care). When I look back at these greatest basketball victories I realize why I like them so much. Cause we weren't supposed to win. There is something sweet about winning a game that you aren't supposed to. With the exception of the 3 on 3 tournament (we were supposed to smoke everyone)all of those games I was an underdog in. No one thought that my senior year we could beat an Alumni team featuring Mark, Mike, and Mikey. No one thought that a Troy Beans coached team would lose to us streetballers in 02. No one thought that our squad could beat the 1 loss Tyson Miner team when we had 5 losses in 05. Not even Mrs. Murrill believed me when I told her that her husband and I beat her two baller sons(That's the second time the Murrill bros are on this list. That means I respect them). And even I was blown away when the Italian Stallion, the Circus, and the Engineer beat the Taxi, the Candyman, and Too High (These are Midland Mustang basketball nicknames, except the engineer, I just made that up). Because we weren't supposed to win it made winning feel like we shook the world (our world being the Kansas/Nebraska conference of Seventh Day Adventists). I have had many wins where we were supposed to win and we did. Not as exciting. I mean how many times in a row can we beat Sunnydale and still be pumped (slam on Logan even though he was in 4th grade). As for heartbreaking losses I have had my fair share. Read about my miserable losses here Most of those happened when we were suppposed to win the game and we didn't. But that's not important right now. I feel like my team should win this intramural season and please believe I will keep you updated. Here is a picture of the dynasty.

No comments: