Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Back in the day



The Union Warriors wrapped up their season last night with an impressive victory over the Nebraska Agricultural College.  Sometimes I catch myself talking about the old days of Union Basketball with the guys on the team.  The five best basketball players in the History of Union College were all on the same team.  from 99 to 03 Union dominated on the hardwood.  This is a video of some of the dunks from the 00-01 season.  Allow me to guide you through this video.  Please forgive the quality of the video and the gap between clips.

  • The first clip is of Matt Gal dunking on a fast break.  I have referenced Matt in my extensive look at the Union College basketball tournament here and up in here.  This video is mostly him dunking on people.  By the time he was a senior he was scoring in the mid thirties every game.  He had some forty pointers sprinkled in there for good measure.  Notice that Union had a pep band on the stage.  When we goin to bring that back?
  • The first few clips are taken from a game that was played during Parent's Weekend.  Late October 2000.  I was watching this game from the balcony.  We had come to visit my bro during his freshmen campaign at Union.
  • At the 45 second mark Matt has a putback dunk.  To paint the picture we were playing Doane College and the game was really close.  This dunk was near the end of the game and swung the momentum back to Union.  I remember when I saw this I started jumping up and down and shaking my sister.  
  • The clip at the 1:13 mark is Union vs Manhattan in Manhattan.  I only point this out because those are the dopest uniforms that Union has ever had.  All black baby.
  • The dunk at the 1:32 mark is Alan Guyton.  
  • The Alleyoop at the 1:59 mark is my boy Carlos Mott.  Carlos and I went to the same high school.  He had the most hops on the team.  He is 6-2.  During a basketball trip my freshman year of college Carlos grabbed me out of the shower and locked me out of our hotel room.  Good friend.  
  • Notice in the next clip Carlos doesn't pass the ball ahead and dunks it himself.  Love that guy.
  • The dunk off the glass at 2:27 is just cool.
  • My favorite dunk is at the 2:52.
  • The clip at 3:11 is at Mid America Nazarene University in KC.  I was there watching as a junior in high school.  I just want to be involved in this video in any way I can.  I love how after Matt dunks the coach puts a sub in to stop him.  Please.
  • When I get to heaven I am going to do the dunk at 3:57.  Why do I feel like the guy who says "Holy Snap"at 4:04 is Jeremy Jacob?
  • I feel bad for the kid at 4:48.  That would have been me.
  • Matt travels at 5:16.  He's garbage.
  • At the 6:15 mark we are playing the Nebraska Agricultural College.  Check out the indian guy with the long hair.  Nice pass Carlos.
  • How do these people not locate the 6-9 guy at the 6:28 mark.  If I was there coach I would do the Hockey substitution right there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. do you have any footage of Mike Polite getting bum-rushed by Trey Sharp after an infamous ball-to-the-head-And-1 move?

2. Nick Wall wore the Holy Snap out of that headband no?

3. what would you do to be able to send a FLIP to 99?

4. Carlos' cousin dated my sister. My wife dated Matt's brother...will I be able to dunk in heaven?

Big Rich said...

No Ed. You won't. But you will be able to no-look any tree in the garden.

Logan said...

I wanna see Trey and Mike fight.. I heard Mike got a knife.. that story was passed down to me.. I looked up to MIke.. I started taking a knife to late night..

Logan said...

I knew 8 of the refs in this thing..

G Creek said...

I swear I hear a little Jeremy Jacob cheering in the background. Big Rich, can you confirm or deny this?