Saturday, February 12, 2011

Midland Memories. Hit the jump for the rest.

For those of you who weren't able to attend Midland's Alumni Weekend here is what my cousin Yara wrote for it.  If you aren't from Midland you probably aren't goin to vibe with this.


Midland will forever hold a special place in my heart.  The memories and friendships I grew here are permanently embedded within me and I will carry them where ever I go.  I think more so then others, being here has been one of the best blessings of my life.  I know that most are happy to be done with high school, happy to have out grown all the awkward stages that come with adolescence.  Don’t get me wrong, I am too.  But at least for me, sometimes I wish life could be that simple again. I don’t think I have ever been as happy as I was when I was here.  High school for me, is probably the happiest I have ever been


My experience began when a little lone skinny Hispanic (and probably mean) girl from LA first stepped foot into a tiny brick school in Shawnee KS.  I fell in love.  Having come from a not so friendly or accepting academy in California, I didn’t know how to react to smiles, cheerfulness, and friendliness.  I felt pretty for the first time in my life.  I learned that I was useful, talented, and a leader.  My confidence started from zero while all the wonderful people around me helped edify a tower of self esteem.  Midland allowed me to participate in EVERYTHING.  Choir, drama, yearbook, basketball, ASB, and all the while being President of my class.  As if that wasn’t enough I tried to learn the Tuba to be part of the band.  The TUBA!   

It didn’t stop at Midland.  My home church, New Haven, helped me fall in love with God.  I learned to worship, lead in worship, use my voice to praise, plan services, and preach.  When I went to Union, I took everything I learned and applied it to my roles as part of the Unionares, Octet, and CABL leader.  The Midwest, small in size but gigantic in possibilities, had me surrounded with friends, comfort, and laughter.  Smiles started in my heart and burst outward. 

Life after Midland, after Union, and after the Midwest, was not as brilliant as I had anticipated.  Along with the new found joys and freedoms that adulthood brings, comes tougher responsibilities and new realizations.  We can no longer hide behind the excuse of “we are too young to know better”, but we become accountable for all we do.  Tests in a class room cannot compare to tests in life.  Friendships gained are treasured even more, and friendships lost break your heart.  We think that after we leave school we will finally be happy.  But the truth is, I believe, we were always happy.  Staying happy is where we truly become successful. 

I am so thankful to Midland.  I have nothing but the best memories, and vivid pictures of tournaments, choir tours, selling lunch, decorating my locker with pictures of cute actors, my bra being stolen and hung on the ceiling (I know it was you Mikey), Jennifer and I living at Hallmark, and all the wonderful people who were part of my life.  Thank you Midland, and thank you Kansas City for giving me such an amazing chapter in my story.  

 I hope that everyone has found peace, and joy.  I’m pleased and truly glad because it seems that most of my peers are in fact happy, have families, and while I’m sure struggles ensued, have managed to successfully fight through it.  I miss you all so much, and wish you nothing but the best.

No comments: