Friday, February 18, 2011

Richard Paradise




















  





This last week I had a chance to talk to two of the most succesful coaches in Union Basketball Tournament History.  I've known Richard Paradise since I was in the sixth grade.  We have discussed basketball every which way possible.  I really appreciate how he goes about coaching his girls.

Big Rich:  You have been a parent of two students that have played in the Union tournament. You have also been a coach of teams that have made it all the way and you have had teams that have been heartbroken. What is the best part and what is hardest part of both of the roles that you have been in throughout the years?

Richard Paradise: My father would always tell me (sounds better in italian) you cant strike out son, if you dont get up to bat. It was hard (as a parent) to see Michael's teams come so close to winning the UC Tourny and fall short. I think (in our little Adventist sports world) at least in our Union, the UC is the Super Bowl. Sam was on a winning team in 2002. She was a freshman- it was exciting. Her senior year though was tough- thought they would go all the way but as they say, that's why you line up and play the game. Tough watching your child cry. On the coaching side, we have been blessed with players that were willing to work hard and commit to a program. As coaches you always look for the opportunity to teach (not unlike parenting). We have been fortunate to play in four straight championship games. You learn so much from the wins, but man do those losses hurt. I remember thinking that I should say something "Lombardiesque" when we lost the 2008 championship game to CVA (a terrific team by the way). I remember the silence in the "locker room" some were crying others just sat in utter disbelief. So I asked, what's different this year from last year? Some said we lost, others said we didnt rebound, etc, etc. I explained that "nothing is different! Jesus was in the locker room last year when you were cheering, laughing, and screaming for joy, and He is here right now. Always remember that" So whether its your kids or someone else's you always look for an opportunity to teach- and praise God.
Big Rich: People get an impression from every team at the tournament. When people see a Richard Paradise coached team play what do you want them to see?
Richard Paradise: From a character standpoint they will always see excellent sportsmanship. They will see a team that is cohesive, a team that cares for each other and lifts up each other. A team that prays for each other. From a basketball perspective we are hopeful that they will see a team that plays hard nosed defense. A team that will always make the extra pass. 
Big Rich:  What are the different techniques you use to motivate your teams?
Richard Paradise:  I try to use biblical analogies- Joshua 1 is always meaningful. And for point guards the analogy of why Peter starts sinking when he stopped looking at Jesus while walking on the water. "you've got to keep your head up and see the entire floor when you're dribbling" We have our Alumni game coming this weekend. needless to say, theres some t talk going on. That's a fun motivator. But you know, Its all about the Union Tournament. I have been coming to these tourneys for a dozen years i guess. I get excited, and i think that reflects. I tell them about the fun, the competition. Seems to work.
Big Rich:  What are the biggest things that you have personally learned from coaching the Mustangs?
Richard Paradise:  After watching my kids play (and taping all those games- Although Michael says I was the worst videographer ever), I thought that i would enjoy coaching. The biggest thing is that coaches can have meaningful impact on a young christian woman or man. i call it C.S.A. Christian Student Athlete and the "C" comes first. Dont get me wrong I guess i am pretty competitive, but if Im not sharing Christ along the way- Does it really matter?

1 comment:

Paradise said...

That's so tight. AND, Mikeydise makes an appearance on the blee-o-g during tourney time. HOLLA!

Throw my category up there, baby!