Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Technology=Boo!

I have been married to the same woman for over a year now. That means I can now give insight into marriage. I just want to share with you the technology that has turned me into a much better man. For the most part I hate technology. To me it makes things alot more inconvenient. It used to be that if you wanted to get a hold of me you had to ask some people where I was and then go searching until you found me. Now not so much. Technology has made it that you should be able to get a hold of me at anytime. That's bootsy. I don't like it when people bother me. You can call me at home, you can call me on the road, you can leave a voicemail, you can drop me an email that I get on my phone, you can send me a text message. I can't hide anymore. And who out there thinks that are lives are alot easier now that we text message more then we talk on the phone. Ok maybe now we can talk to people when we are in class or in a meeting but besides that it has made life alot more awkward and mysterious. Instead of having a five minute conversation it is a forty five minute conversation and at the end you still don't know what happend. Instead of saying ok I'll talk to you later you have to subtly let the person you are texting know that you have no interest in communicating with them anymore. And even though I am guilty of this I still don't like texting throughout church. And give me a break with the couple texting. Do you really have that much to say to each other. I imagine every single text is like "I just saw a tree". "Cool I just saw a bird". Why else would you text message 700 times a day. I guess a main reason that I don't like the text message is that it makes people look alot smarter then they actually are. Its a lie. Anyone can look witty if they have four minutes to come up with a comeback. Now people can't have face to face conversations anymore cause they don't have time between statements to come up with something neat and flirty. And whats with the professors assigning everything through email. Gay. In college I didn't even have a computer so I had to go to the computer lab to know if we had something due. More often then not we did. And I wouldn't know about it. Facebook is cool its awight. But as soon as I get as many friends on facebook that I had on myspace everyone is going to start goin over to twitter. And isn't the basis of all networking sights just to see if your friends from highschool are fat yet? Ok I need to calm down I went on a little rant there. Ok now I get to tell you of the one technology that I actually like. Not only has it made me a more likeable person but it has made me a better husband and christian. Its only three little letters. DVR. Thats right. Since I have been able to record tv shows life is alot less hectic. Lets say Natalie wants to go on a walk during Royals game. "Sure honey that sounds great". Or lets say some people want to go out to eat during Mad Men. "Sounds lovely". "What did you say Natalie you want to watch the 20 worst celebrity face lifts on the E channel tonight? Lets enjoy that together!" Before DVR none of this would have taken place. I can record shows while I am out or while my wife watches her shows. I would be running red lights and jumping over curbs just to get home for the opening pitch. I would blow off all of my friends just to see what was happening to Don Draper. Guard the edges of the Sabbath? The game started 10 minutes ago. Before my personality was what you would call intense. Now you would label it as "Breezy". Go ahead ask Natalie. But not right now cause she is comfortably watching the discovery channel without me pacing in the background waiting for the 10:00 Sportscenter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, So true Richard. DVR really is the best invention of our time, and it has probably saved many marriages. Tony has personally told me that if he has to watch one more woman giving birth on a tv show he was going to scream.. now I watch those shows during my lunch hour. Everyone is happy! :-) - Taryn Rouse

Anonymous said...

beautiful. inspirational. never realized dvr could transform relationships so well.
~Becky

Anonymous said...

You sound antisocial. You have never been antisocial. When did you change?
ycy

Miriam said...

This is stinking hilarious! Best blog yet!